Friday, November 6, 2015

What is a good thesis statement for "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns?

I would suggest the
following:


In "To A Mouse," Robert Burns questions whether
a human being is superior to a mouse.


In Stanza 1, Burns
states that he, personally, has no intention of killing the mouse with his plough or
with his "pattle," a small shovel:


readability="6">

I wad be laith to rin an' chase
thee,
Wi' murd'ring
pattle!



In Stanza 2, Burns
expresses his regret that the mouse has come to look upon humans as his
enemy:



I'm
truly sorry man's dominio
Has broken nature's social union,
An'
justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle
At
me...



In Stanza 3, Burns
admits that the mouse lives by thievery, which is normally considered immoral. Yet he
excuses the mouse for stealing bits of food because it is the only way he can
live:



What
the? poor beastie, thou maun [must]
live!



In the final paragraph,
Burns considers an advantage that the mouse has over man. The mouse only concerns
himself with the present, whereas a human regrets the past and fears the
future:



I
backward cast my e'e


On prospects drear!
An'
forwar, tho' I canna see,
I guess an'
fear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...