Monday, November 2, 2015

How should I start my essay comparing and contrasting Act 2 Scene 3 and Act 3 Scene 1 of Much Ado About Nothing?

I think it was me that answered your original question
about the differences between these two scenes, so I will carry on and give you some
ideas on how to start your essay. Key to making your essay standing out is coming up
with some kind of "attention grabber" that will draw your reader in and make them want
to read more. I always say to my students that they need to imagine me sitting up late
at night marking a pile of their essays. Do they want to bore me or do they want me to
sit up and take notice of their essays? Obviously, anything you can do to make your
introduction interesting and eye-catching will help you get a better
mark.


Therefore if I were you I would think about some of
the kind of themes that these two scenes bring up. The foolishness of Benedick and
Beatrice in vowing not to love the other and then suddenly changing their mind is a good
one. You might want to start your essay with a sentence that captures this irony and
relates it to today, such as: "Love has always had the ability to make us act in foolish
ways and to make us attracted to those whom formerly we have despised." This sets the
context and then leaves you free to present your thesis statement and a very brief
outline of the main points you will discuss in your main body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...