Sunday, December 7, 2014

What is an example in the book that Scout is self-concious about her gender?

To me, the clearest example of this comes early on in the
book, in Chapters 4 and 6.  I suppose you could say these are examples that show that
she wants to be included in what the boys do, rather than being excluded because she's a
girl.  I think that counts as being self conscious.


What
Scout says that shows me this is in Chapter 6.  There, Jem and Dill want to go peek at
Boo Radley but Scout does not.  But when Jem tells her she is acting like a girl, she
says



With
that, I had no option but to join
them.



She had already
reported, back in Chapter 4, that Jem was saying stuff to her about her acting too much
like a girl.  Here, she responds in a way that makes me think she's self-conscious about
it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...