Wednesday, December 10, 2014

In To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout learns that Atticus has known one of her "crimes" for some time. Which one? Discuss his motives for not punishing her.

I wouldn't call this particular example a "crime," but in
Chapter 9 of To Kill a Mockingbird, Scout comes downstairs from her
Finch Landing bedroom for a drink of water and hears Atticus and her Uncle Jack talking.
So, she deliberately eavesdrops on their conversation. The two brothers are talking
about Scout's earlier fight with her cousin, Francis, and Atticus is giving Jack advice
on how to handle children. The conversation then shifts to talk of the upcoming Tom
Robinson trial. Atticus tells Jack that he took the case because he couldn't "face my
children otherwise... I just hope Jem and Scout come to me for their answers instead of
listening to the town. I just hope they trust me enough..." At this point, Atticus ends
the conversation and calls out "Jean Louise?... Go to bed." Atticus knew she had been
listening the entire time, but he wanted her to hear the conversation in the hope that
she would trust him enough to honor his decisions regarding his children. Scout
"scurried to my room... and it was not until many years later that I realized he wanted
me to hear every word he said."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...