Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What are Eppie's plans for the future in Silas Marner?

It is towards the end of Chapter 16, after a description
of the massive changes that have taken place between the end of Book I of the novel and
the beginning of Book II, that we are given an indication of Eppie's plans whilst she is
sitting outside with Silas Marner and discussing the future. It is Eppie who brings up
the topic of marriage and tells Silas that Aaron wants to marry her. She makes it clear
that he is determined to not take Eppie away from Silas, and that they would live
altogether and he would be a good son for Silas. However, when Silas asks Eppie what she
would like, she expresses that what she wants above all is for things to stay the
same:



"But I
don't want any change," said Eppie. "I should like to go on a long, long while, just as
we are. Only Aaron does want a change; and he made me cry a bit--only a bit--because he
said I didn't care for him, for if I cared for him I should want to be married, as he
did."



Silas tries to tell her
the truth; that change will come whether we like it or not, and then determines to speak
to Dolly Winthrop about this plan and gain her advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...