Monday, January 14, 2013

What literary devices does Sylvia Plath employ in her poem of "I Am Vertical"?I want to know whether there are literary devices such as metaphors,...

Plath uses a variety of devices in her poem "I Am
Vertical."


To begin, here is the second stanza of the
poem:



Tonight, in the infinitesimal
light of the stars,
The trees and flowers have been strewing their cool
odors.
I walk among them, but none of them are
noticing.

Sometimes I think that when I am sleeping
I
must most perfectly resemble them--
Thoughts gone dim.
It is more
natural to me, lying down.
Then the sky and I are in open
conversation
,
And I shall be useful when I lie down
finally:
The the trees may touch me for once, and the flowers have time for
me.


In the bolded statement,
the "none of them" she refers to is the trees and the flowers. She gives them the human
capacity to notice. This is personification. Again, she
argues that the sky is able to hold a conversation, which we know is only a human
capability. This likewise demonstrates
personfication.


Finally, Plath makes a great reference to
Death. This is called an allusion. Without
directly telling us that she is talking about death, she mentions those things we
associated with death, being buried, lying down, and remaining for a time long enough to
have roots growing down to the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...