Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Describe the relationship between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde in Robert Louis Stevenson's novel. Please give a few quotes from the book.In The Strange...

In Robert Louis Stevenson's novel, The Strange
Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
, Dr. Jekyll tells Utterson at the very
beginning that Jekyll and Hyde are tied closely together, but he will give no
details.


readability="9">

'...there is one point I should like you to
understand. I have really a very great interest in poor Hyde...I do sincerely take a
great...interest in that young man; and if I am taken away, Utterson, I wish you to
promise me that you will bear with him and get his rights for
him.'



Utterson agrees, though
having met Hyde, he has found him rude and unlikeable.


Some
time later a horrendous crime is committed. Sir Danvers Carew—a gentleman—is murdered
one night. A maid, looking out her window as is her custom, notices two men speaking.
The first is the old gentleman and the second she recognizes as Hyde. All of a sudden,
Hyde attacks the old man and bludgeons him to death with his cane. The matter is brought
to Utterson's attention.


readability="13">

'And perhaps you can help us to the man.' And
[the officer] briefly narrated what the maid had seen, and showed the broken
stick.


Mr. Utterson had already quailed at the name of
Hyde; but when the stick was laid before him, he could doubt no longer; broken and
battered as it was, he recognized it for one that he had himself presented many years
before to Henry
Jekyll.



Though the reader
cannot be sure what the connection is, the stick which Utterson had
given as a gift to Jekyll has become a murder weapon in the hands of
Hyde.


When Dr. Jekyll's letter is read at the end, we learn
of the "creation" of Hyde.


readability="16">

I drank off the potion...There was something
strange in my sensations, something indescribably new...I felt younger, lighter, happier
in body...


I knew myself...to be more wicked...and the
thought...braced and delighted me like wine...I was suddenly aware that I had lost in
stature.


I determined...to venture in my new shape as far
as to my bedroom...and coming to my room, I saw for the first time the appearance of
Edward Hyde.



This segment
describes the first time Jekyll takes the potion he has concocted. He describes what his
body goes through during its metamorphosis, how different he is in nature (he feels
wicked and reckless) and stature (he is shorter, but feels much
younger).


And...


readability="9">

Hence, although I had now two characters as well
as two appearances, one was wholly evil, and the other was still the old Henry
Jekyll...



And Hyde continues
to appear:


readability="11">

Henry Jekyll stood at times aghast before the
acts of Edward Hyde; but the situation was apart from ordinary laws...It was ...Hyde
alone, that was guilty. Jekyll was no worse; he woke again to his good qualities
seemingly unimpaired; he would even make haste, where it was possible, to undo the evil
done by Hyde. And thus his conscience
slumbered.



By holding
Hyde responsible for his acts, Jekyll is able to maintain a quiet
conscience. However, one night Jekyll goes to sleep as himself, but wakes as Hyde
without taking the potion. From then on, Jekyll must continually
take the brew to remain himself.


readability="7">

I...sicken and freeze at the mere thought of
[Hyde], when I recall the abjection and passion of this attachment...I know how he fears
my power to cut him off by
suicide...



Jekyll hates Hyde,
and Hyde knows his existence rests in Jekyll's hands. Jekyll decides that when he
becomes Hyde again, he will not change back to Jekyll; he knows Hyde will commit suicide
rather than be hanged for murder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...