Thursday, December 12, 2013

In The Outsiders, what was the family life like in the Curtis household after they return from the hospital?Chapter 7

With respect, I think you will find that the end of
Chapter Six is going to be far more useful to you in terms of referring to the change in
relationships that occur between the Curtis brothers at the hospital before they return
to their house. Chapter Seven gives us little information about any differences in the
family dynamics, so I will respond to your question referring to Chapter
Six.


The reason why the end of Chapter Six is so important
to the novel overall is that Ponyboy is reunited with his two brothers, Darry and
Sodapops, and he suddenly realises how much Darry does care for him when he sees that he
is crying at having Ponyboy back safe and sound. Ponyboy had always thought that Darry
didn't love him because he shouted at Ponyboy all the
time:



I let
go of Soda and stood there fro a minute. Darry didn't like me... he had driven me away
that night... he had hit me... Darry hollered at me all the time... he didn't give a
hang about me... Suddenly I realised, horrified, that Darry was crying. He didn't make a
sound, but tears were running down his
cheeks.



Seeing Darry doing
something that he hadn't even done at their parents funeral makes Ponyboy realise how
deeply Darry does care for him and that every time he shouts at Ponyboy he is expressing
his fear at something happening to him. This is the major change in the family dynamics
among the Curtis brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...