Saturday, May 23, 2015

What are some quotes from chapters 1 and 3 that have to do with George and Lennie's relaitionship in John Steinbeck's novel Of Mice and Men.If...

As the exposition of Of Mice and Men,
Chapter I introduces the reader to the dynamics of the relationship of Lennie Small and
George Milton. Clearly, George is in charge of situations and is the decision maker. 
For instance, he scolds Lennie about drinking out of the green pool that may not be
fresh. Also, he chides Lennie for hiding a mouse in his pocket, and
cautions,


readability="14">

"O.K. now when we go in to see the boss, what
you gonna do?"


"I....I," Lennie thought.  His face grew
tight with thought.  "I...ain't gonna say nothin'.  Jus' gonna stan'
there."


"O.K.," said George.  "An' you ain't gonna do no
bad things like you done in Weed,
neither."



Here George refers
to an incident to which he later alludes.  As they gather willow sticks for a fire,
Lennie declares, "I like beans with ketchup."  George, tense from having to walk so far
from where the bus has stopped, explodes, "Well, we ain't got any."  After having had to
scold Lennie for catching another mouse, George is tense and speaks sharply to
Lennie,


readability="13">

"...Whatever we ain't got, that's what you
want.  God a'mighty, if I was alone I could live so easy.  I could go get a job an'work,
an' no trouble.  No mess at all, and when the end of the month come I could take my
fifty bucks and go into town and get whatever I want....I could eat any place .....Get a
gallon of whisky....An; whatta I got, " George went on furiously. "I got you!  you can't
keep a job and you lose me ever'job I get.  Jus' keep me shovin' all over the country
all the time....An' that ain't the worst.  You get in trouble.  you do bad things and I
got to get you out."



George
makes his voice high-pitched as he repeats Lennie's words, "Jus-wanted to feel that
girl's dress.  But, when he looks at Lennie's pitifully anguished face, George is
ashamed.  Then Lennie tells George that he can go off somewhere.   When George asks him
where he would go, Lennie says,


readability="7">

"Some place I'd find a cave....An' if I foun' a
mouse, I could keep it.  Nobody'd take it away from
me."



George looks
inquisitively and guiltily at Lennie, "I been mean, ain't
I?" 


Like an older brother and a younger one who argue,
George and Lennie settle their little differences as the childlike Lennie requests that
George recite the mantra of their dream.  Afterwards, George cautions
Lennie,



"...if
you jus' happen to get in trouble like you always done before, I want you to come right
here and hide in the
brush."



This older/younger
brother-like relationship is displayed in Chapter III, as with a fraternal pride George
boasts that Lennie can do anything that he is told:  "He can't think of nothing to do
himself, but he sure can take orders." When Slim remarks that it is odd that "a cuckoo"
like Lennie travels with George, George defends Lennie, as a big brother would:  "He
ain't no cuckoo,...he's dumb as hell, but he ain't crazy.  I ain't so bright
neither...."  He then explains to Slim that he has promised Lennie's aunt to care for
him.  George explains to Slim that he used to tease Lennie, but he stopped because once
he almost killed Lennie by telling him to jump into the
water.


Summing up the relationship, George points to its
value in a time when men are disfranchised,


readability="9">

I ain't got not people...I seen the guys that go
around on the ranches alone. After a long time they get mean.  They get wantin' to fight
all the time."


"'Course Lennie 's a ...nuisance most of the
time..But you get used to going' around with a guy an'
you


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...