Saturday, May 2, 2015

I'm writing a speech about life's greatest lesson from Tuesday's With Morrie. How do I begin the speech and how do I end it?My speech is about...

For an emotional impact, you might begin with a dramatic
quotation written in triple parallelism (tricolon parallelism) such as this one from
Shakespeare's Richard II
(3.3.170-73):


readability="9">

I'll give my jewels for a set of
beads,
My gorgeous palace for a hermitage,
My gay apparel for an
almsman's gown,
My figured goblets for a dish of wood ....



You might even write your
own tricolon parallel based on the topic of your speech. Parallelism adds emotion
through repetition of structure, impact, and key ideas or
words.


You might also begin with a relevant emotional
passage from the book that speaks about the point you want to make. You would read this
passage dramatically, perhaps in the voice of Morrie if the passage is completely or
contains his dialogue.


Whichever way you begin, ending with
repetition will enhance the emotional impact. Remember Antony's speech in
Shakespeare's Julius Caesar? You might use the repetition of
anaphora or epistrophe.


Anaphora repeats the opening
clause: I shall give X. I shall give Y. I shall give Z. Epistrophe repeats the last word
of a sentence: I cared for all. I gave to all. I loved all. These dramatic repetitions
heighten emotion and make a lasting impression. Remember Dr. Martin Luther King's use of
anaphora in his "I Had a Dream" speech? The ending of your speech will be memorable and
emotionally moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...