Monday, May 4, 2015

How would you describe the major characteristic of poetry as represented by the work of Anne Bradstreet ?

Although Anne Bradstreet did find a source of inspiration
and technique from William Shakespeare, as a Puritan most diligent in her faith,
Bradstreet's greatest inspiration came from her religion.  With Puritan's belief in the
close interaction of people with God, who had a plan for each individual.  In a letter
to her children before she died, Anne Bradstreet
wrote,



"Among
all my experiences of God's gracious dealings with me I have constantly observed this,
that He hath never suffered me long to sit loose from Him, but by one affliction or
other hath made me look home, and search what was
amiss."



It is this very
sentiment that is evinced in Bradstreet's  "Here Follow Some Verses upon the Burning of
Our House, July 19, 1666."  For, in this poem, Mrs. Bradstreet's characteristic
Puritan sense of predestination is illustrated as she
writes,



 I
blest His name that gave and took.....


Yet by His gift is
made thine own;


There's wealth enough, I need no
more,


Farewell, my pelf, farewell my
store.


The world no longer let me
love,


My hope and treasure lies
above.



In addition to her
strong religious faith, Anne Bradstreet was very devoted to her family, and she often
wrote verses to and about them.  Her poetry addressed to her husband evinces wit,
emotional strength, and, oddly for a Puritan, admission to the physcial aspect of
marriage.  Thus, her love poems reveal Bradstreets human side and her lyricism.  Her
poem about her children in which she uses the extended metaphor of the nest is both
poignant and lyric, as well.  Furthermore, some critics find Bradstreet an early
feminist as she certainly was daring to write poetry at all, let alone some of the
loving verses that she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...