Sunday, February 22, 2015

In To Kill a Mockingbird, why does Dolphus Raymond hide Coca-Cola in a bag in Chapter 20?

When Scout and Dill are outside of the courthouse, Dill
feels sick to his stomach. Mr. Raymond tells Dill to take a sip out of his paper bag,
and that it will settle his stomach. Dill takes a sip and tells Scout that it is just
coca-cola. Scout wants to know why Mr. Raymond pretends to stay drunk all the
time.



"Wh- oh
yes, you mean why do I pretend? Well, it's very simple," he said. "Some folks don't like
the way I live. Now I could say the hell with 'em, I don't care if they don't like it. I
do say I don't care if they don't like it, right enough—but I don't say the hell with
'em, see?"



He goes on the
explain that this way people will leave him alone and let him live his life. He is a
white man who lives in the black community, and people like to make a big deal out of
it, but if they think he is a drunk, then they will leave him alone and expect him to
live in that area. In all honesty, Mr. Raymond just prefers the company of the black
community over the whites. This way he can live his life and people won't bother him
about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...