Thursday, October 11, 2012

Refer to lines 42-68 in Act 1, Scene 1: "O, sir, content you...I am not what I am." Discuss what these lines reveal about Iago.

In Act I of Othello, Iago says to
Roderigo:


readability="5">

I am not what I am.
(I.i.57–65)



The
line is verbal irony
(understatement)
because, even after Iago admits this secret, Rogerigo continues to trust him and pay him
money, knowing full well that he is a liar, cheat, and traitor!  This is why Iago calls
Roderigo his "fool."


This reveals Iago's
status as a Janus figure.  Janus was usually depicted with two heads facing in opposite
directions.
Janus was two-faced, a perfect analogy to describe Iago.
 Iago seems to be honest and loyal to Othello, but in reality, he is a vice character
and a satanic villain.  This line reveals one of the main themes and motifs in the play:
appearance vs. reality.


The line is a spoof
of one of the great verses of the Old Testament.  Yahweh (God) says, "I am that I
am."
He means He is what he says he is, and He will do what he says He
will do.  Here, Iago reveals just the opposite: he is not who he says he is, and he will
not do what he says He will do.  Iago and others say he's "honest."  He says to Othello,
"I am your own."  And he says he will kill Cassio.  He is none of these.  He will not do
any of these.  Iago is a two-faced liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...