Tuesday, October 23, 2012

In The Taming of the Shrew, explain Petruchio's unconventional and almost ridiculous behaviour in Act III Scene ii.

We need to hold in mind Petruchio's overall purpose and
what he is trying to achieve to fully appreciate what he does in this hilarious act. He
is engaged in trying to "tame" the "shrew" that he is about to marry, and will stop at
no strategy in order to achieve this goal. This is why we see a marked shift in how he
treats Katharina. Note how before he attempted to use blandishments to soften her
character. Now he uses the technique of shame. He deliberately arrives late to his own
wedding and, as Biondello reports, he hardly comes dressed
appropriately:


readability="14">

Why, Petruchio is coming in a new hat and an old
jerkin; a pair of old breeches thrice turned; a pair of boots that have been
candle-cases, on buck-led, another laced; an old rusty sword ta'en out of the
town armoury, with a broken hilt, and chapeless; with two broken points; his horse
hipped, with an old mothy saddle and stirrups of no
kindred...



His behaviour
during the ceremony, which causes Gremio to refer to Katharina as a "lamb" and Petruchio
as "the devil," reverses the behaviour of Katharina suddenly. Petruchio's insistence
that he will not attend his own wedding banquet provokes a tantrum from Katharina, that
gives Petruchio the excuse he needs to lay down the
law:



I will
be master of what is mine own.


She is my goods, my
chattels; she is my house,


My household stuff, my field, my
barn,


My horse, my ox, my ass, my
anything...



Petruchio seems
to be deliberately provoking Katharina in this scene therefore to whittle down her
defences and "tame" her character to his "rightful" will as her husband. The ridiculous
behaviour and preposterous conduct he employs is all an act for this purpose, and as we
can see, it is beginning to have an effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...