Sunday, October 5, 2014

In Into the Wild, Jon Krakauer presents the story in non-chronological order. What are the advantages/disadvantages of this narrative choice?

Chris McCandless' story is one that was popular in the
media for a time, and so many people who would later read Into the
Wild
had a basic familiarity with the end result of his story.  By starting
with what was already somewhat familiar to his readers, Krakauer could build the story
backwards, and explain the end results of the story in that
way. 


This method has the disadvantage, however, of
confusing the reader at times, and I found I was having to piece the story together
myself at times.  The second time I read it I noticed things I had missed that I think I
can attribute to this narrative choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...