Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What do Odysseus's men want to do when they find the Cyclops' cave?

In Episode IX of The Odyssey,
Odysseus takes the men to the island of the Cyclopes.  His men have been rebellious and
difficult, having gotten into trouble with the Cicones and the Lotus-Eaters.  So,
Odysseus is angry with them.  In coming to the Island of the Cyclops, Odysseus calls all
the shots: his men have no say in the
matter.


Observe:


readability="8">

"We sailed hence, always in much distress, till
we came to the land of the lawless and inhuman
Cyclopes.



It makes no mention
of his men wanting to sail there or sail around it, to go ashore or to the
caves.


Later, Odysseus tells his
men:



"'Stay
here, my brave fellows,' said I, 'all the rest of you, while 
I go with my ship
and exploit these people myself: I want to see if they 
are uncivilized
savages, or a hospitable and
humane 
race.' "



He
also says:



"I
went on board, bidding my men to do so also and loose the hawsers; 
so they
took took their places and smote the grey sea with their oars...I told my men to draw
the ship ashore, and stay where they were, 
all but the twelve best among them,
who were to go along with
myself."



Later, when Odysseus
directs the men to Polyphemus' cave, he says:


readability="16">

When they saw all
this, 
my men begged me to let them first steal some cheeses, and
make off with
them to the ship; they would then
return, drive down the lambs and kids,
put them
on board and sail away with them.
It would have been indeed
better 
if we had done so but I would not listen to them, for I wanted to see
the 
owner himself, in the hope that he might give me a present. When,
however, 
we saw him my poor men found him ill to deal
with.



Is this what you mean?
 They want to steal some cheese, lambs, and baby lambs, and run off to the
ship?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...