Thursday, June 9, 2011

How does Gatsby reply when Nick asks him how he makes his money?

I think that the answer you are looking for is in Chapter
5.  It comes just before Nick and Daisy and Gatsby go over to show Daisy around Gatsby's
house.


Nick asks Gatsby how he made his money -- what
business he was in.  Gatsby basically tells Nick that it is none of his business and
that he should butt out.  Then he realizes that that was a rude thing to say and he
backs off and says that he was in a bunch of different
businesses.



I
think he hardly knew what he was saying, for when I asked him what business he was in he
answered, “That’s my affair,” before he realized that it wasn’t the appropriate
reply.


“Oh, I’ve been in several things,” he corrected
himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...