Monday, January 10, 2011

What are some good quotes explained from Romeo and Juliet act 3?

Since Act III of Shakespeare's romantic tragedy of Romeo
and Juliet is the climax of the play, many of the actions and words of the characters
effect the turning point of the drama.  For, the impetuous actions of Mercutio, Tybalt,
Romeo, and Juliet, set the fate of these characters. As foreshadowing of the tragic
events to follow, the weather is hot and causes Mercutio's temper to rise just as the
mercury, for which he is named, rises in torrid temperatures.  While he and Benvolio
enter the first scene, Mercutio argues with Benvolio who cautions
him potentously against anger:


readability="7">

An I were so apt to quarrel as thou art, any man
should buy the fee simple of my life for an hour and a quarter.
(3.1.31-32)



Nonetheless,
Mercutio continues, and when he sees Tybalt, they exchange insults.  Mercutio calls him
"Prince of Cats," a pejorative term and a point of mockery in the play which initiates
Tybalt's aggressive action toward Mercutio.  Tybalt tells
Mercutio,



You
shall find me apt enough to that, sir, an you will give me occasion
(3.1.41)



  To make matters
worse, a well-meaning but ineffective Romeo intervenes, declaring that he has no quarrel
with Tybalt, but loves him instead:


readability="13">

Tybalt, the reason that I have to love
you


Does excuse very much the rage that is
appropriate


For such a greeting.  I am not a
villain


Therefore, farewell.  I see that you don't know me.
(3.1.61-64)



Of course, this
backfires and Tybalt ends up stabbing Mercutio.  In his mercurial personality, Mercutio
changes to his typical witticisms, even as he dies when Romeo asks him about his
wound:



No
'tis not so deep as a well, nor so wide


as a church door;
but 'tis enough, 'twill serve.  Ask


for me tomorrow, and
you shall find me a grave man.
(3.1)



After Mercutio dies,
Romeo berates himself,


readability="7">

O sweet Juliet,


Thy
beauty haath made me effeminate


And in my temper soft'ned
valour's steel.
(3.1.115)



Then, after Romeo
avenges Mercutio's death by slaying Tybalt, says,


readability="10">

This day's black fate on more days doth
depend;


This but begins the woes others must
end....


O, I am fortune's fool!
(3.1.120-138)



In the next
scene, Juliet, believing that Romeo has been slain,
says,



...I'll
take to my wedding bed;


And death, not Romeo, take my
maidenhead.
(3.2.141-142)



When Romeo
appears, wailing and threatening to kill himself, the Nurse berides
him,



Stand
up.  Stand up!  Stand, and you be a man.


For Juliet's sake,
for her sake, rise and stand!


Why should you fall into so
deep an O?" (3.3.90-94)



As
Romeo parts from Juliet on his banishment, he says,


readability="5">

But that a joy past
joy


Calls out on me,


It were a
grief to part with thee.
(3.3.179-181)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...