Saturday, June 27, 2015

Where did Jay Gatsby go to college?I know that he said he was an Oxford man. But is it true or did he go to a small college in Minnesota? If you...

Gatsby keeps using the term "Old sport" which he claims he
picked up at Oxford. He wants people to think that he is an Oxford man. His business
associate Meyer Wolfshiem tells everybody, including Nick, that Gatsby is an Oggsford
man. Late in the novel Tom Buchanan confronts him about his so-called Oxford background
when Tom, Daisy, Nick, and Jordan Baker are spending a hot afternoon in a suite at the
Plaza Hotel in Manhattan. Gatsby tells him:


readability="8">

"It was in nineteen-nineteen. I only stayed five
months. That's why I can't really call myself an Oxford man....It was an opportunity
they gave to some of the officers after the Armistice," he continued. "We could go to
any of the universities in England or
France."



This appears to be
the straight truth, since Tom does not question him further, and Nick
writes:



I
wanted to get up and slap him on the back. I had one of those renewals of complete faith
in him that I'd experienced
before.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...