Saturday, March 28, 2015

In "The Use of Force," what is the conflict of the story?

In "The Use of Force" we are presented with a narrator who
is a doctor who is trying to take a throat culture from a young girl because he suspects
she has diphtheria. However, for some unknown reason, the girl resists his attempts in
every way possible, refusing to let him take a culture from her throat. It is clear that
as she continues resisting, the doctor faces two conflicts: first, his need to take the
culture as part of his job, and second, his own fury and desire to overpower
her:



The
child's mouth was already bleeding. Her tongue was cut and she was screaming in wild
hysterical shrieks. Perhaps I should have desisted and come back in an hour or more. No
doubt it would have been better. But I have seen at least two children lying dead in bed
of neglect in such cases, and feeling that I must get a diagnosis now or never I went at
it again. But the worst of it was that I too had got beyond reason. I could have torn
the child apart in my own fury and enjoyed it. It was a pleasure to attack her. My face
was burning with it.



Thus we
can see that in a sense, the doctor faces an external conflict in trying to do his job
and take a throat culture. But at the same time he faces an internal conflict as he
threatens to be overwhelmed by his own fury and desire to dominate
her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...