Monday, March 9, 2015

Give examples to show that Orlando is rather willing to get rid of Jaques.As You Like It, Act 3 Scene 2.

As they enter Act III, scene ii, both Jaques and Orlando
are both, it appears, trying to induce the other to leave.  This exchange (which begins
at line 268) is a sort of battle of wits, the winner of which will remain, the loser
will leave.


Jaques' first
line:



I thank
you for your company, but, in good faith, I had as lief have been myself
alone.



is matched by
Orlando's reply:



And so had I.
. .



These two continue their
exchange of put-downs until, at line 312, Jaques throws in the towel and exits the
scene, leaving Orlando to continue his wooing lesson with Ganymede
(Rosalind).


Here are a couple of other lines in which
Orlando indicates his desire to be rid of Jaques' company:  "I do desire we may be
better strangers;" "I am weary of you;" and "I am glad of your
departure."


In this exchange, Orlando also refers to Jaques
as a "fool."  Technically, Touchstone is the Fool in this play, but Shakespeare is also
playing with the idea of a character's behaviour branding him as a Fool.  So, Orlando
says of Jaques at line 308, in reference to Jaques "own figure:"  "Which I take to be
either a fool or a cipher."


For more on Orlando, Jaques and
this scene, please follow the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...