Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Comment on the theme of HAWK ROOSTING by Ted Hughes.

The poem presents a first person narration of the thoughts
of this great predator, the hawk. The main theme of the poem is revealed through the
self-assured strength of the monologue, as the bird asserts its
dominance-



 I
sit in the top of the
wood



Its supreme power



I hold
Creation in my foot



 and its
establishment as the centre of its own world.


The main
surprise to us as reader is the confidence of the hawk in its belief that it is in
control, and controls all. We realise that the bird’s narrative is like our own – so
similar in the perceived arrogance of its self-belief. When we consider this view from a
bird we are sceptical, mocking even. It is when we begin to realise the parallels with
our own egotism that we see it is humanity that is held up as conceited
-



 Nothing has
changed since I began.
My eye has permitted no change.
I am going to
keep things like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...