Friday, November 22, 2013

Atticus says that the KKK is "gone." What does this reveal about the kind of person he is?( Given the circumstances could you say that)

I suppose that you can say that this makes Atticus naive
about the level of racism that persisted in Maycomb in his time.  However, I do not
think it does.  In my opinion, it shows that he is
realistic.


The reason I say this is that the KKK really had
not been very active in the South for quite some time by 1935.  The "need" for the KKK
had gone when Reconstruction ended and white people were on top again in the South.  I
mean, when the judicial system kills Tom Robinson for you, what do you need the KKK
for?


So if Atticus had said there was no racism, I'd say he
was an idiot.  But he knows there's racism.  He just says the KKK isn't that
important.


Now, give the context where he says this, I
think he's just brave.  He's trying to reassure his family -- tell them that the mob is
no big deal.  That's brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...