Friday, September 7, 2012

In The Lovely Bones, what characteristics does Susie Salmon have?

Of course, what is fascinating about this novel is that
the central protagonist is actually dead and looking down on the action from her heaven.
However, we can tell from the way that she is introduced, that although she spends much
of the time observing and narrating the action of her family and others, Susie is
someone that likes to think of her self as a non-conformist. Consider her introduction
to herself that she gives us at the beginning of this excellent
novel:



In my
Junior High yearbook I had a quote from a Spanish poet my sister had turned me on to,
Juan Ramon Jimenez. It went like this: "If they give you ruled paper, write the other
way." I chose it both because it expressed my contempt for my structured surroundings a
la the clasroom, and because, not being some dopey quote from a rock group, I thought it
marked me as literary.



She is
also clearly presented as a very loving daughter. She shares the same kind of ambitions
and dreams of any teenager her age, and thinks about what life will be like when she
grows up. She has the same kind of crushes, too. Also, she seems to be very close to
every person in her family. She and her father share building ships in a bottle. She is
close to her sister and also acts as a secondary mother to Buckley. She seems to
instinctively understand her mother and her various
needs.


During her return to earth, when she inhabits Ruth's
body, she is able to fulfill her desire to kiss Ray. Also, interestingly, at the end of
the novel we see Susie's pleasure and delight as she observes her family recover from
her death and building themselves a new future which excludes
her:



Samuel
placed Susie on a blanket near the flowers. And my sister, my Lindsey, left me in her
memories, where I was meant to
be.



This clearly shows a
significant maturity and acceptance of her position as a dead person, relegated to the
crowds of the "forgotten." It also shows selflessness, as Susie knows that the only way
her family will heal themselves is by moving on and dealing with her perpetual
absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...