Saturday, November 26, 2011

You find a puddle of a clear liquid on your drive way. it is either water, vinegar, or battery acid from the car.How can you safely test (other...

If it is a question relating to chemistry, perhaps it
assumes ready availability of some chemicals or facilities of testing. Bur if it is a
question from common everyday life, I will try to make out the substance from its smell.
While water will have no smell, vinegar will have a very distinct smell. Acid will have
some kind of acrid smell which I may not recognize very clearly. If some how or the
other I had a means of knowing that is is only one of these three options the smell test
will be good enough to identify the liquid clearly. But If I do not have these three
possible options, things will be more difficult.


But then I
will not just stop with the smell test. I will also try to find the source from which
the liquid in the puddle has come. Once possible sources have been identified, I will
match the smell of liquid in puddle with that in suspected source. If this matches, it
will be a confirmation of the original smell test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...