Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Where in The Stranger does Meursault say he doesn't care or it doesnt make a difference to him?Where meursault shows or says he doesn't care about...

In Chapter II of The Stranger,
Meursault says:


readability="6">

I remembered it was a Sunday, and that put me
off; I’ve never cared for
Sundays.



In
Chapter III, Meursault is prompted by Raymond to write a letter that may be used to lure
his Arab (Moor) girlfriend back to him.  Meursault
responds:



I
kept silence and he said it again. I didn’t care one way or the
other,
but as he seemed so set on it, I nodded and said,
“Yes.”



In Chapter V, when
asked by his boss if he'd prefer moving to Paris for a job promotion, Meursault
responds:



I
told him I was quite prepared to go; but really I didn’t care much one way
or the
other.



In Part
II, Chapter II, Mersault finally starts to reflect on his life once in prison.  He
says:


readability="8">

THERE are some things of which I’ve
never cared to talk.
And, a few days after I’d been sent to prison, I
decided that this phase of my life was one of
them.



Later, in Part II,
Chapter V, Meursault reflects on death:


readability="12">

And, on a wide view, I could see
that it makes little difference whether one dies at the age of thirty or threescore and
ten
—since, in either case, other men and women will continue living, the
world will go on as
before.



So, Meursault doesn't
care about that which most of the culture cares about: Sundays, revenge, job promotions,
prison, and even death.  As an absurd hero, Meursault is either in denial or in a state
of repressed anger about the importance of these events.  In short, Meursault hates
death, loves life, and scorns the gods.  He does not see any religious importance to the
ritual of Sunday, the point of menial labor, or the fear of death--for he, like his
mother, is ready to live his life over again just the way he lived it in the first
place--with no guilt or regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...