Monday, December 13, 2010

What are Pip's 'expectaions' in Chs. 3 and 4 ?

In Ch. 3 Pip is on his way with the stolen food items and
the file to meet Magwitch on the marshes. He loses his way because of the heavy mist. It
is then that we come to know that Pip's expectations are limited to his desire to be
apprenticed as a blacksmith to Joe:


readability="13">

I knew my way to the Battery, pretty straight,
for I had been down there on a Sunday with Joe, and Joe, sitting on an old gun, had told
me that when I was 'prentice to him regularly bound, we would have such Larks
there!



In Ch.4 on Christmas
day, Pip is very nervous and anxious. He is certain that the theft of the food items
will soon be discovered and that the police will arrest him. The chapter begins with Pip
'expecting' to be arrested by the police:


readability="8">

I fully
expected to find a Constable in the
kitchen, waiting to take me up. But not only was there no Constable there, but no dis-
covery had yet been made of the
robbery.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...