Thursday, February 9, 2012

What chapter of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is the following quote found? "I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage...

The quote, "I have love in me the likes of which you can
scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe," is not found in
Mary Shelley's novel Frankenstein. It actually comes from Kenneth
Branagh's 1994 adaptation of Shelley's novel.


While the
quote is not found in the novel itself, there is one quote which is close to Branagh's
adaption. This quote is found in chapter seventeen of Shelley's novel: "If I cannot
inspire love, I will cause fear; and chiefly towards you my arch-enemy, because my
creator, do I swear inextinguishable hatred."


While the
quote from the novel does not directly speak to the love the Creature possesses, as does
the Branagh quote, it does speak to the rage the Creature possesses. Given the fact that
the Creature is asking Victor to make him a mate, the Creature is trying to impress upon
Victor the two choices he (the Creature) has in life: inspire love or inspire fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...