Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What are two of the poetic elements that Poe uses most often in "The Raven?"

In Edgar Allan Poe's poem, "The Raven," the two poetic
elements he uses more than any other would be repetition and rhyme. Onomatopoeia would
be a close third, I would think.


We see repetition
in:



As of some
one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I
muttered, "tapping at my chamber
door--



...with "at my chamber
door." And of course, "nothing more" and "Evermore."


Rhyme
is used a great deal, as well. Poe is well known not only for end rhyme, but also title="internal rhyme"
href="http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/290573/internal-rhyme">internal
rhyme. An example of this would be: "Once upon a midnight dreary, while I
pondered, weak and weary," with the words "dreary" and "weary"
rhyming.


End rhyme is also
used:



Once
upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint
and curious volume of forgotten lore--
While I nodded, nearly napping,
suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my
chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber
door--
Only this and nothing
more."



Words that show end
rhyme from this stanza are: lore, door and
more.


Onomatopoeia is easy to hear with words such as
"rapping" and "tapping."


The rhythm, as well as the
elements listed above, gives the poem a melodic and musical sense of swaying back and
forth, and the verse appeals strongly to the ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...