Friday, August 12, 2011

In The Great Gatsby, how did Nick deceive Jordan?

This occurs in chapter 3. This is very important because
Nick paints himself as the moral character of the story, and he should, he's the
story-teller and has the right and ability to taint our
viewpoints.


In the end of chapter 3, Nick notes Jordan's
dishonesty. The he points out her carelessness in reference to driving. Finally, he
recognizes something in himself, he is intrigued by her. BUT, HE HAD A GIRL AT HOME.
Yes, there is only one line that really tells us this, but he kept it from Jordan until
he thought a relationship was possible.


He reports to the
reading audience:


readability="12">

"Her gray, sun-strained eyes stared straight
ahead, but she had deliberately shifted our relations, and for a moment I thought I
loved her. But I am slow-thinking and full of interior rules that act as brakes on my
desires, and I knew that first I had to get myself definitely out of that tangle back
home. I'd been writing letters once a week and signing them: 'Love
Nick.'"



Later, in chapter 7,
after the incident with the accident occurs, Tom drives into his home and Nick and
Jordan are left out front. Jordan wants Nick to do something with
her.



"I was
feeling a little sick and I wanted to be alone. But Jordan lingered for a moment more...
I'd be damned if I'd go in; I'd had enough of all of them for one day, and suddenly that
included Jordan too."



Nick
fails to tell her that he wants to be alone or that he is tired of her. But he tells the
reader.


In chapter 9, Nick pretends to be surprised when
Jordan reports she is engaged. He acts like he is happy for her, but he is still in love
with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...