Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In "The Raven" what specific words serve to establish mood? What lines and phrases occurring later in the poem sustain this mood?mood or atmosphere

In the beginning, I like the words midnight
dreary, weary, nearly napping, bleak December,
and dying ember.
For me, these words make me feel that late night quiet, cold outside but warm
inside atmosphere. They also make me feel that almost asleep place of
comfort.


In the third stanza,
the lines "And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain Thrilled me -
filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before" make me feel a mood of
terror or fright.


In the last
four stanzas, references to demons, the devil, evil, a fiend, and a shadow maintain that
terror or fear, because fear generally comes from
evil.


The comfort from the
beginning is referenced by his question, "Is there - is there balm
in Gilead?" This balm of Gilead is an allusion to substance noted in the bible that
comforts, soothes and restores. The raven tells the speaker no,
nevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...