Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How does the creature say he learned to live in the world in Frankenstein?

He learns the same way we learn-by
experience.
Of course, he is at a disadvantage, having no parent there to
guide him through his trials. But he slowly learns to "distinguish [his]
sensations from each other": recognizing forms, light, sound, etc.
He
also learns to use tools, wielding fire to his advantage after burning himself
once.



One
day, when I was oppressed by cold, I found a fire which had been left by some wandering
beggars, and was overcome with delight at the warmth I experienced from it. In my joy I
thrust my hand into the live embers, but quickly drew it out again with a cry of pain.
How strange, I thought, that the same cause should produce such opposite effects! I
examined the materials of the fire, and to my joy found it to be composed of
wood.



Essentially,
he learns scientifically, through observation.
These chapters represent a
child taking his/her first steps in the world, slowly discerning each new
sensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calculate tan(x-y), if sin x=1/2 and sin y=1/3. 0

We'll write the formula of the tangent of difference of 2 angles. tan (x-y) = (tan x - tan y)/(1 + tan x*tan y) ...